Peterson Economics is a real estate economics consulting firm that specializes in examining the market and financial feasibility of a variety of land use types, including proposed new:
We also offer expertise in performing:
- Strategic repositioning studies
- Work-out studies
- Economic benefit studies
- Affordable housing analyses
- Expert witness services
Over the past six years, Peterson Economics has been retained to complete more than 345 market and financial analyses for proposed new developments, including 200 of the largest and most complex destination resort communities and high-end private club communities currently proposed in North America. Combined, these communities represent more than $175 billion in proposed new real estate development.
Peterson Economics typically completes about 50 market and financial analyses for proposed new second-home communities, resorts, retirement-oriented communities, and other recreation-oriented properties each year. These communities range from small infill projects to major new destination resort communities proposed in pioneering locations. Many consist of about 1,000 to 5,000 acres and are proposed to include 400 to 1,000 residential units (typically second homes), along with amenities like golf, spa, fine dining, beach clubs, and some form of lodging.
Our clients include a broad mix of:
- Private developers (large and small)
- Landowners (public and private)
- Law Firms
- Timber companies
- Major investment banks
- Recreation districts
- Others, such as non-profit organizations
Our recent and current clients include:
- Simpson Timber / Green Diamond
- Morgan Stanley
- Plum Creek Timber
- Honua’ula Partners
- Dowling Company
- Lowe Enterprises
- Landmark Land
- MSD Capital
- Washington Holdings
- Goodfellow Brothers
- Sanchez Navarro Family
- Fairmont Hotels
- Beazer Homes
- Centex Homes
- Paws Up Ranch
- Starwood Capital
- Olympus Real Estate
- Stimpson Timber
- JH Baxter & Company
- Jeld-Wen Communities
- Warm Springs Indian Tribe
Peterson Economics’ professionals combine over three decades of industry experience with detailed field research and careful analysis to provide clients with the most thorough, well-prepared, and creative analyses in the industry.
By engaging Peterson Economics early in the process and adopting a market-driven design and development approach, the project can be designed and positioned to maximize its potential profit and return on investment.
Peterson Economics’ expert witness and litigation support assignments in 2010 include:
- Master-planned Resort, Columbia River Gorge, Washington: Peterson Economics was retained as the lead expert witness in a major lawsuit regarding a proposed new resort overlooking the Columbia River near Hood River, Oregon.
- Resort Golf Course, Mississippi Gulf Coast: Peterson Economics was retained by one of the owners of a new, upscale, visitor-oriented golf course to evaluate the impacts of Hurricane Katrina and the Great Recession on the Mississippi Gulf Coast visitor market and golf market.
- Resort Conference Center and Fractional Resort, Southern California: Peterson Economics was retained to provide litigation support services regarding a proposed new resort conference center and private residence club in Southern California.
- Master-planned Resort in Central Oregon: Peterson Economics was retained to evaluate documents associated with a distressed large-scale destination resort proposed in Central Oregon and to provide detailed development recommendations and financial projections for this project going forward.
* * *
About Peterson Economics
includes market and financial analyses for the following:
- Honua’ula (Wailea 670), Maui, Hawaii: A proposed new $3 billion second-home community on Maui, overlooking Wailea and featuring a Weiskopf-designed golf course, a major clubhouse, and an oceanfront beach club.
- Shelter Bay, Revelstoke, British Columbia: A proposed new 5,200-acre lakefront resort community near Revelstoke, British Columbia.
- Oregon Coast Resort: A proposed new 2,000-acre ocean-view resort community south of Cannon Beach, featuring an 18-hole golf course, beach club, boutique hotel, and other amenities.
- Makena Resort, Maui, Hawaii: A conversion of this existing resort into the most notable new ultra-high-end oceanfront second-home community in the Hawaiian Islands, and possibly in the western hemisphere, with real estate sales likely to exceed $7 billion on the 1,800-acre site. Details.
- Suncadia, Roslyn, Washington: A new multi-billion dollar, 6,300-acre resort community in the mountains east of Seattle, which has sold over 1,000 high-end second-home properties since sales began in 2004. Details.
- Hacienda, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: A highly successful new oceanfront condominium development overlooking Land’s End.
- Capella at Pedregal, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: A new ultra-high-end boutique hotel, fractional community, and whole-ownership community adjacent to Land’s End.
- Sundance at Moama, Echuca/Moama, New South Wales, Australia: A proposed new second-home community near the banks of the Murray River about a three-hour drive north of Melbourne.
- Saddlehorn Ranch, Bigfork, Montana: A new upscale second-home community on a wooded, 800-acre, lake-view site immediately south of Bigfork, affiliated with the historic Flathead Lake Lodge guest ranch.
- Maluaka, Maui, Hawaii: A proposed new ultra-high-end oceanfront resort in Makena. For this resort, Peterson Economics was asked to evaluate the relative costs and benefits of Four Seasons branding and affiliation. This was proposed as the premier oceanfront condo community on Maui, with whole-ownership condo prices in the $4 million to $13 million price range ($1,700 to $2,400 per square foot). As part of this analysis, Peterson Economics examined top branded resorts throughout Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean and Costa Rica, and evaluated where branding adds value, how much, and why. Details.
- El Paraiso, Careyes, Mexico: A new, ultra-high-end resort community proposed on a 2,000-acre oceanfront site.
- Brasada Ranch, Bend, Oregon: A highly successful new 1,800-acre resort community, which has sold over 400 second-home properties since sales began in mid-2005. Details.
- Vineyard and Winery Club, Mendoza, Argentina: A proposed new high-end vineyard, winery, and private members’ lodge on a 1,000-acre site in the heart of Mendoza’s premier wine-producing region, positioned as a private club offering the benefits of private label wine and onsite lodging.
- Flying E Dude Ranch, Wickenburg, Arizona: An evaluation of repositioning options for a struggling dude ranch operation in Arizona.
- Carara Bay, Costa Rica: A proposed new oceanfront resort community in the Central Pacific Coast region of Costa Rica, proposed to include a high-end marina, hotel, and other components.
- San Luis Pass, Galveston, Texas: A highly successful new 1,100-acre resort community on the Gulf of Mexico.
- Fernie, British Columbia, Canada: A proposed new, ultra-high-end private ski club community in the Canadian Rockies.
- Spruce Peak, Stowe, Vermont: A highly successful new 1,000-unit base village at the Stowe Mountain Resort.
- Punta Gorda, Los Cabos, Mexico: A proposed new ultra-high-end second-home/resort community on a spectacular 2,000-acre oceanfront site east of San Jose del Cabo.
- Wilderness Lodge, Yakutat, Alaska: A proposed new ultra-high-end wilderness lodge near Yakutat, Alaska.
- Resort at Paws Up, Missoula, Montana: A successful new high-end, low-density resort on a 10,000-acre ranch in Montana.
- Fairmont Orchid, Mauna Lani, Big Island, Hawaii: A proposed conversion of a portion of the Orchid Hotel to a condo-hotel.
- Union Bay, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada: A proposed new waterfront second-home community on Vancouver Island.
- Hyatt Cambridge, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland: A proposed new residential development adjacent to an existing Hyatt hotel.
- Los Anegados, San Carlos, Mexico: A proposed new oceanfront resort community overlooking the Sea of Cortez.
- Pronghorn, Bend, Oregon: A highly successful new private golf club community and resort, featuring courses by both Nicklaus and Fazio.
- Clear Creek Ranch, Lake Tahoe, Nevada: A proposed new ultra-high-end private golf club community on a 1,600-acre site.
- The Hollows, Lake Travis, Texas: A highly successful new second-home community in the Texas Hill Country.
- Golf Community, Thibodaux, Louisiana: A proposed 3,000-acre master-planned community.
- Lake Amistad, Mexico: A proposed new lakefront resort community overlooking Lake Amistad, on the Texas/Mexico border.
- Rosario Resort, Orcas Island, Washington: An evaluation of re-development/re-positioning options for Rosario Resort in the San Juan Islands.
- Querencia, Los Cabos, Mexico: An analysis of repositioning options for Querencia, an upscale private golf club community.
- Northern Idaho Ski Resort: A proposed expansion of an existing ski area and new base village.
- Bitterroot Mountain Resort, Missoula, Montana: A proposed new ski resort community near Missoula, Montana.
- View all recent work